As an Affiliate, We may earn a commission that doesn't cost you extra from qualifying purchases using links in this post. It helps keeps this blog running.
Going to sleep immediately after a fresh spray tan appointment or going to bed after a spray tan appointment shouldn’t have to be tricky or something you should really ponder about. It doesn’t matter whether spray tanning is your usual mode of tanning or it’s the first spray tan that you’ve ever had, the skincare tip for how to comport yourself when going to bed after using a spray tan does vary in some ways, and shouldn’t be ignored.
If you are worried about staining your bed sheets with spray tan solution if you try to lay down on your bed after a fresh spray tan, you can simply switch to a dark color bedsheet or ask the spray tanning professionals at your salon for a special sheet cover that will protect your bed from spray tanning solution stains. These special spray tan bed sheets covers are going to be your best friends going forward if you continue to get a spray tan because they are super effective against tanning solution stains and save a lot of headaches of worrying about getting your bedsheet stained.
Read A Specific Section
Importance Of Proper Aftercare For A Spray Tan
After spending time and money on getting a spray tan, it’s important to understand the significance of proper aftercare. Not only does proper aftercare help maximize the tan’s longevity and appearance, but it can also help prevent blotches and uneven fading.
Here are a few reasons why proper aftercare is essential:
- Helps maintain the tan’s color and appearance
- Prevents blotches and uneven fading
- Enhances the overall quality of the spray tan
- Increases the lifespan of the tan
- Promotes healthy skin by keeping it hydrated and moisturized
What To Wear For The First Few Hours After Your Spray Tan
The first few hours after a spray tan are crucial for the development of the tan. Here are some tips to ensure that your spray tan looks great and lasts as long as possible during this time:
- Wear loose, dark clothing: To avoid rubbing off the spray tan solution and ruining the tan, it’s recommended to wear loose, dark clothing during the first few hours after the application. Dark colors help to hide any excess solution that may rub off, and loose clothing prevents friction that can cause the spray tan to become patchy or uneven.
- Avoid water or sweating: Water or sweating during the first few hours after a spray tan can cause the solution to run, which can result in an uneven tan. Try to avoid any activities that may cause you to sweat, and avoid showering or getting wet for at least 6-8 hours after the spray tan.
- Avoid showering or swimming: It’s also important to avoid showering or swimming during the first few hours after your spray tan.
- Be careful with your hands and feet: Because the hands and feet have thinner skin, they tend to absorb more of the spray tan solution, which can result in a darker, more unnatural-looking tan. To avoid this, be careful when applying the solution to these areas, and consider using a barrier cream to prevent excess absorption.
- Avoid physical activities: Activities that could cause the spray tan to rub off, such as working out, should be avoided.
- Plan ahead: Make sure to plan your outfits ahead of time, so you don’t have to change clothing or disturb the spray tan during the first few hours. It’s also a good idea to avoid wearing tight-fitting clothes, as these can cause the spray tan to rub off more easily.
What To Wear The Night After Your Spray Tan
The night after your spray tan is crucial for the development and longevity of your tan. Here are some tips on what to wear to bed:
- Continue to wear loose, dark clothing to bed to prevent the spray tan from rubbing off
- Avoid wearing tight clothing or anything that may rub against the skin, such as tight waistbands or bras
- Consider wearing loose pajama pants and a long-sleeved t-shirt or a loose-fitting nightgown to bed to prevent the spray tan from rubbing off
- Opt for natural, breathable fabrics like cotton to prevent sweating and allow the skin to breathe
- Avoid synthetic fabrics like nylon or polyester that can cause the skin to sweat and fade the spray tan faster
Remember to also avoid any activities that can cause excessive sweating or friction on the skin, such as exercise or rubbing the skin with a towel after showering.
What To Wear To Bed After A Spray Tan
When going to bed after getting a spray tan what you wear could make or break your hard work during your tanning sessions. Some clothing is completely fine to wear right after tanning, while others can ruin the spray tan completely.
Here are some of the most common types of clothing to wear to bed after a spray tan:
- Silk or satin
- 100% cotton clothes (make sure they’re loose-fitting)
- Flowy shirts or Gowns
- Light clothes without hinges
- Loose fitting jumpsuits
- Loose-fitting long pants
- Loose fitting long sleeves shirt or top
- Frothy skirts etc.
What NOT to wear to bed after a spray tanning appointment
First of all, it’s important to get rid of all jewelry, makeup, and accessories like watches, and rings are things that shouldn’t be on you after getting your spray tan and shouldn’t be on you when going to bed.
Wearing tight clothes after getting sprayed with a tan can cause unwanted seam lines and an uneven color application. The best way to avoid this is by wearing clothes like loose pajamas that are free and breathable.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, here are the clothes you should not wear to bed after spray tanning.
- Skinny Jeans
- Tight clothes
- Tight shorts
- Tight strips
- Avoid wearing any kind of jeans trousers, or jacket.
What To Wear a Few Days After Your Spray Tan
After the first night, you can start wearing tighter clothing and lighter colors again. Here are some tips on what to wear to bed during the days after your spray tan:
- Choose breathable fabrics: Opt for breathable fabrics like cotton to help prevent the skin from sweating and causing the spray tan to fade faster.
- Avoid tight clothing: Tight clothing, especially around the waistband, can cause friction and rub against the skin, causing the spray tan to fade faster. Instead, wear loose-fitting clothing to bed.
- Don’t wear socks: Wearing socks to bed can cause the spray tan on your feet to rub off. Instead, sleep barefoot or wear loose slippers to bed.
- Consider a spray tan-friendly lotion: Moisturizing your skin after a spray tan can help prolong the tan’s lifespan. However, choose a lotion specifically formulated for use after a spray tan to avoid damaging the tan.
- Skip the bra: Wearing a bra to bed can cause the spray tan on your chest to rub off. Instead, wear a loose-fitting camisole or tank top.
- Avoid silk or satin sheets: Silk and satin sheets can cause the spray tan to rub off onto the sheets. Instead, use cotton sheets and pillowcases to avoid this issue.
Can I Lay Down After A Spray Tanning Session?
Definitely, you can lie down and sleep after getting a fresh spray tan. Laying down after a spray tanning appointment typically isn’t something that most spray tanners are concerned about because they know that they have to let their bronzed skin dry before lying down on anything but as a new user, you might not be aware so there are a few things to keep in mind if you just get a fresh tanned skin and want to go right ahead to lay down on your bed.
- First of all, be sure that your spray tan is completely dry before laying down because if not, the spray tan solution may get smudged which could lead to having tan lines, and uneven spray tan results on parts of your body.
- Secondly, make sure where you are laying down is well-ventilated so you don’t sweat and get the spray tan smeared. So, get your AC or Fan ready to blow you out.
How long after a spray tan can you lay down?
To avoid getting your bed sheets or wherever you lay on stained with tan, it’s best to wait for about 8 hours before laying down. The reason for this is that spray tanning solution doesn’t dry instantly, instead, it dries little by little over time. Even if it appears that your spray tan has dried up to a certain extent, you still need to be a little bit careful by wearing loose fitting clothing and avoiding rubbing your body against surfaces.
But 8 hours is long and can be drastically reduced by forcing the spray tan to dry. You might wonder how you can make a fresh spray tan dry dramatically faster; Well you can make your freshly tanned skin dry and develop faster by:
- Spending some time in front of or below a fan
- Wearing loose clothing, and wear loose socks.
- Spending some time chilling in front of an air conditioner (AC).
- Avoid contact with water or anything moist.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes immediately after a spray tan.
Is it OK to sit down after a spray tan appointment?
Due to the spray tanning process, some people worry their fake tan might accidentally rub off if they sit down immediately after tanning. While it is always best to err on the side of caution and avoid sitting until after at least 2 hours (4 hours for spray tans that look extra pale), many make an exception and sit down within 30mins of getting spray tanned if their tan is applied by a professional spray tanner that uses good quality tanning products and speeds up the drying, development, and tanning process using the above method.
Spray tans when not completely dry can sometimes rub off on furniture and/or clothing, especially if the spray tan solution was put on too heavily or if it’s not allowed to sit for long enough. It’s also possible that the spray tanning solution could wear away due to continuous friction as a result of constant rubbing.
Spray tans are a great way to get a natural-looking tan without the damaging effects of UV rays. If you follow the steps in this article, then your spray tan will look even and flawless. Be sure to wait 8 hours after getting a spray tan before laying down or going to bed so that you don’t end up with unsightly seam lines on your skin. Also, remember not to wear tight clothes when your spray tan is still fresh because this can cause uneven color and tan patches.
I’m Akin, your dedicated Editor-in-Chief and a fervent skincare enthusiast. Self-care is my true passion, and each year, I embark on a thorough exploration of self-tanning products, ranging from lotions to mists. This forms the bedrock of our commitment to delivering top-notch information to our readers. My extensive research and precise product rankings empower you to make informed decisions tailored to your specific skincare needs.
Unlock the Secrets to Achieving Your Ideal Tan with This Comprehensive Checklist