As an Affiliate, We may earn a commission that doesn't cost you extra from qualifying purchases using links in this post. It helps keeps this blog running.
Whether suntan or fake tan, it is possible to make your bronze go away through safe techniques that are practicable at home.
Typically, an even tan may not last more than 7 to 10 days unless you apply additional layers to it. Even with the additional layers, there may be uneven patches of bronze left behind after the 10 days elapse. Hence, it’s necessary to learn how to make your tan go away easily without side effects on your skin.
This article will show you various unique methods to get rid of a tan and remove sun tan from your skin and particular areas of your body like the face, legs, and even more.
Read A Specific Section
How Long Does it Take for a Tan to Go Away?
It actually takes up to a month or 30 days to make a sun tan go away completely. While you often read and hear that a tan will lose its glow after 7-10 days, that holds true for self-tanners and fake tanners, but it actually takes ×3 of that period for a suntan to be completely gone.
However, other factors such as age may contribute to how fast you can bid farewell to your bronze skin.
For a better understanding, read on:
How Age Affects Making a Tan go away
The cell production cycle varies based on age, thus affecting the time it takes to make a tan go away.
People in their early and late thirties may shed dead skin cells after 28 days, while people in their late and early 40s may take a longer time, say 45 to 60 days. Older people in their 50s or late 60s may take 60 to 90 days to have new skin cells. Much younger people in their 20s may produce new skin cells within 2 to 3 weeks.
Simply put; the earlier a body is able to shed the outer layer of the skin, the faster it takes for a tan to fade away.
Is It Possible to Remove a Tan Overnight?
Uneven tan, visible tan streaks, and discoloration can ruin your summer party goals, thus causing you to seek fast ways to remove your tan overnight. But the question is, is it actually possible to remove sun tan overnight?
The simple answer is No, you cannot remove sun tan overnight because tanning from the sun doesn’t just affect the top layer of the tanned skin. The process of tanning from the sun actually happens from inside the body i.e.; the generation of melanin, which cannot be removed overnight, although can be faded gradually.
However, if it’s a self tanner or fake tanner tan, then; it’s very much possible to get rid of the tan overnight. Because the way self-tanner and fake tanners work is essentially dying the outer layer of the skin. So, to speed up the tan fading process, some home remedies such as below can help you get it faded faster.
How to Get Rid of a Tan and Fade Tan Away
Like it’s stated earlier, there are various effective methods you can use to remove a tan. The major and most effective two are below:
- Home Remedies
Have you tried exfoliating? Exfoliation is the secret to ensuring those pigmented dead skin cells on the top of your skin give way to the new ones.
There are two methods of exfoliating your skin, which are:
- Mechanical (Manually): Manual exfoliation is the act of scrubbing your skin with sponges, exfoliating gloves, or brushes to shed dead skin cells.
- Chemically: The chemical method of exfoliation includes the use of chemicals that penetrate more deeply into the skin to dissolve dead skin cells effectively.
When trying out manual exfoliation, regardless of your skin type, ensure to gently scrub your body, because otherwise; it may worsen your skin if it’s acne-prone, create dark patches, or cause your skin to become reddish. After any exfoliation process, do moisturize your skin to prevent excessive dryness.
3 Simple Home Remedies to Remove Tan Overnight:
Use of Baking Soda to get rid of tan
A mixture of water and baking soda is one of the fast and safest ways of getting rid of tan on skin. It’s also effective against the excessive buildup of tan and tan streaks.
Baking Soda has great soothing properties that:
- Helps the skin to calm down when irritated
- Reduces inflammation in the case of sunburn from sun tan
- Dry out sunburn blisters
- Can neutralize and restore the PH level of the skin
So, How To Use Baking Soda to Get Rid of a Tan
To use baking soda for getting rid of your tan simply:
- Get yourself desired quantity of baking soda
- Mix with water and stir till it forms a paste. Keep adding either water or baking soda as needed till a paste is formed.
- Apply the paste on the tanned area and massage gently in a circular motion till it evens out.
- Let it sink in on the skin for about 6-10 minutes after application.
- Wash off with normal freshwater while making a circular motion.
- Rinse and repeat this method 4-5 times a week.
A Mixture of Tomato and Yoghurt
A background check into tomato confirms that its juice contains citric acid which can help lighten and brighten the tanned skin. Yogurt on the other hand comprises lactic acid, thus serves as a good moisturizing agent for skin softening and glow. The combination of both is therefore perfect as a natural remedy for tan removal.
To leverage the power of both to remove your tan, simply:
- Get yourself a yogurt and fresh tomato juice.
- Mix the desired amount of freshly squeezed tomato juice with yogurt and stir to make a thick paste.
- Finally, gently apply the thick paste to your tanned skin.
- Let it sit for 20-25 minutes and wash the mixture off with cold water.
A Mix of Honey and Papaya
So, why are papaya and honey the right mixture to remove your tan overnight? Well, Papaya is a rich fruit that contains natural enzymes such as Papain and Chymopapain which aid cell rejuvenation (anti-aging), decrease inflammation, anti-bacterial, and also boost skin renewal.
Honey on the other hand has antibacterial & anti-inflammatory properties that cleanse skin pores. Honey also hydrates these pores and helps improve skin tone.
To create a natural remedy to get rid of your fake tan overnight using papaya and honey, follow the processes outlined below:
- Mash your papaya to get a paste.
- Then get 1 to 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Take half-cup of the mashed papaya and blend it with your honey to create a smooth paste.
- Rub the mixture on your tanned skin, and ensure it gets dry on it.
- Wash it away after 20 to 25 minutes.
The above tan removal steps are not only easy to formulate but can also be made using everyday ingredients that save you time.
So indeed, you can remove your fake tan overnight. All you need to do is walk into your kitchen or the nearest grocery store to get your supplies.
Can You Get Rid of a Sun Tan Permanently
Yes, you can get rid of a sun tan permanently, just as you can do the same for a sunless tan.
The best way to ensure your sun tan goes for good is to first avoid continuous exposure of your skin to the sun. You can achieve this by simply limiting your time outside and spending most of your time indoors, and if getting in the sun is inevitable, then make a habit of always using a strong sunscreen every few hours, a hat, and sun-protective clothing when you are out in the sun.
But if you are already tanned from the sun, below are
Easy Ways to get rid of the sun tan permanently:
Using Turmeric and Lemon Juice
Avoiding getting tanned by the sun is not an easy feat but Turmeric can help make it easier. According to a study, turmeric contains curcumin which is a powerful antioxidant, Turmeric is well known for its skin lightening properties, and can also protect the skin against damage when used as part of a cream ingredient.
Lemon juice extract on the other hand is enriched with citric acid, which is a superb skin cleanser. With the help of citric acid, lemon juice helps the skin exfoliate by removing dead skin cells. In other words, Lemon is a great natural fruit to help the skin clear up its complexion.
So, to leverage the power of Turmeric and Lemon to get rid of your tan follow the below outline:
- Get yourself desired quantity of turmeric powder and fresh lemon juice.
- Mix together and stir till it forms a paste. Keep adding either Turmeric or Lemon Juice as needed till a paste is formed.
- Apply it evenly onto the tanned part of your skin.
- Leave it on the skin to sit for about 20-25 minutes.
- It should dry after 25 mins, so rinse off with ordinary water while gently making circular motions.
- Repeat three to four times a week.
Another way to fade your suntan entirely is by using skin lightening products that contain the following ingredients:
- Azelaic acid
- Vitamin C
- Glycolic acid
- Kojic acid
- A retinoid such as retinol, tazarotene, or adapalene gel.
These ingredients are key because they have lightning properties that can help exfoliate and lighten your skin. Additionally, they hinder melanin production in the skin.
It’s important to know that some of those ingredients can cause skin irritation when abused and overused.
Can You Get Rid of a Tan Naturally and How?
Tans are not permanent. Hence, you can get rid of them naturally and gradually by using some home remedies, including but not limited to; fresh coconut milk, lemon juice, and tomatoes.
Read further for a more comprehensive understanding of how to remove tan naturally:
Fresh Coconut Milk
Just as the previously recommended methods above, Coconut milk is also a great antioxidant that can help fade a tan naturally. It also contains essential vitamins which improve skin tone and makes it more healthy.
Wonder how to use it? Read below:
- Get a ball of cotton wool and Coconut milk
- Now dip a cotton wool ball into your fresh coconut milk.
- Now dab it all over your skin
- Allow it to sit and dry for about 15-20 minutes before proceeding to rinse it off with a cleanser or freshwater.
For the records, coconut milk is a natural, effective tan removal because it contains mild acids and vitamin C.
A Mixture of Buttermilk and Oatmeal
Oat is a great skin exfoliator and also contains a natural lubricant ( Saponin). Buttermilk is soothing to the skin. The combination of both does not only get rid of tan, but they can also treat sun damage, and even out dark spots, blemishes acne amongst other skin issues.
Wonder how to use them? Read below:
- Get half a cup of water and oatmeal
- Pour 2 teaspoons of oatmeal into the water
- Leave it to soak for five minutes.
- Now pour 2 to 3 teaspoons of buttermilk into the above mixture. Then mix to form a paste.
- Now spread and rub gently on desired tan areas of your body.
- Let it sit and sink into your skin for 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
Does Bleach Remove Tan?
Yes, a safe skin bleach can remove a tan without damaging your skin.
There are majorly two types of bleach for removing tan.
- Chemical Bleach
As the name suggests, it’s a bleach and the primary purpose is to remove color. Skin bleaching significantly reduces melanin when applied, and some even consider it the leading solution to any patches caused by tanning. However, it’s essential to know that there are high doses of chemicals present in the content. So, do use it with caution. What a natural bleach like a lemon would do in a month, chemical bleach will do it in less than 30 mins.
- Natural Bleach
Natural bleach on the other hand involves using fruits and organic extracts like Lemon juice, Oatmeal, Turmeric, Normal Sugar, Brown Sugar, etc. To bleach out tanned areas. Natural bleaching methods are safe to some certain extent when use precautiously but can also cause damage to the skin when abused and overused.
Wondering how to use natural bleaching agents to remove a tan? Read on below:
Lemon Juice and Sugar Combo
Squeeze out a fresh lemon juice and mix it with two tablespoons of sugar.
- Mix both together to form a paste.
- Now gently rub the mixture on your tanned skin.
- Once it dries off, rinse off with fresh water.
- Repeat this process three to four times a week and watch your tan fade away and your smooth and soft skin come alive again.
Using the Mixture of Honey, Milk, and Lemon Juice Combo
Honey as an anti-bacterial and moisturizing agent works effectively with milk and lemon juice to help remove a tan. Milk is common for igniting the brightness in the skin, while lemon juice diminishes the amount of melanin the skin has produced. This explains why the combo is an effective one. To benefit from this remedy,
- Stir desired quantity of honey, milk, and lemon juice together to make a semi-thick paste.
- Apply the mixture on your body or just the affected part and leave for 15 minutes.
- Then wash off gently.
Don’t want to wait for the safe and gradual process of natural bleaching? Well, there are various bleaching creams you can buy to help remove your tan. But ensure that they’re safe for you.
How to Get Rid of a Tan on Brown Skin
Even though tan is not as noticeable on brown skin tone as other lighter skin types, but just like other skin colors, a tan might also overstay its welcome and needs to be gotten rid of.
To get rid of a tan on brown skin tone, simply apply the following solutions that get rid of a tan:
How to Use Aloe Vera Gel To Get Rid of A Tan
Research has shown that Aloe Vera contains Aloin, a natural compound that possesses skin-lightening properties. It also works as a nontoxic hyperpigmentation treatment, therefore, applying Aloe Vera Gel on your tanned skin can help reduce discoloration and the production of melanin.
To use Aloe to get rid of a Tan;
- Simply get yourself an Aloe Vera gel directly from the plant or over the counter
- Apply it thinly on your skin or the tanned area.
- Let it sit and dry out for about 30mins and then wash off with fresh water.
Although aloe vera soothes the skin but note that some skin types may be allergic to Aloe Vera Gel. Therefore, always test on a small part of your body before going all in. If you have any irritation after use, please discontinue and try other methods.
Using Skin Lightening Cream to Get Rid of Tan
Have an event or somewhere you need to be soon, and you desire to get rid of your tan quickly? One of the fastest methods to remove a tan on your brown skin super fast is using skin-lightening creams. There are several skin-lightening products but ensure that your selection has vitamin c, azelaic acid, glycolic acid, kojic acid, or a retinoid in its ingredients. It doesn’t need to have all, as long as it has 2-3 among them.
Those chemicals and acids are super effective in lightening the skin, and in the process get rid of tan or skin discoloration by removing dead cells.
Nonetheless, if you are torn between options, please get the opinion of a dermatologist to determine which skin-lightening product is best for you.
How to Get Rid of a Tan on Face and Neck
The face and neck are two parts of the body that are always exposed to the sun, it’s hard to cover and protect them unless you are wearing a mask. As a result, they tend to get tanned a lot and are different than the rest of the body. Getting rid of a tan on specific body areas such as the face and neck can quickly turn out to be a routine. Nonetheless, it’s feasible.
To remove tan from your face and neck, use the following remedies:
How To Use Tomato to get rid of Tan on Face and Neck
Tan removal on the face may not come easy, but as stated earlier, tomato contains citric acid which can help lighten and brighten the skin. Leveraging this unique property of a tomato can effectively help you get rid of it.
Tomato also contains vitamin C, which is an active ingredient for skin lightening. It also possesses antioxidants that enhance collagen production in the body. Collagen is helpful in the face for skin elasticity, hydration, and exfoliation.
Furthermore, tomato can also protect the skin from sunburn because it contains lycopene, a natural food compound that helps protect the body from sun damage. Therefore if you want to remove tan from your face or neck, tomato comes in handy.
Wonder how to use tomato to remove tan from face and neck? Read below:
- Get yourself a ball of cotton wool and dip a cotton wool ball into your tomato juice.
- Now dab it all over your face and neck.
- Allow it to sit and dry for about 15-20 minutes before proceeding to rinse it off with a cleanser or freshwater.
Try to be consistent with this routine 4 times a week and watch the tomato juice work its magic.
How to Get Rid of a Tan on Arms, Hands, and Legs
Just like the face and neck, the arms, hands, and legs are other parts of the body that are constantly being exposed to the sun. So, they tend to get tanned a lot and are different than the rest of the body.
To remove tan from hands, legs, or arms, the following organic methods will help you safely:
Use Milk Cream, Orange, and Sandalwood to remove tan on Arms and Legs.
Milk cream is an effective skin moisturizer. Orange also consists of Vitamin C, which is known to be able to lighten the skin and also detoxify it. Sandalwood is also effective in reducing sunburn, the risk of sun damage, removing sun tan, removing blemishes, and thus fading tan.
To use the combo of Milk Cream, Orange, and Sandalwood to remove a tan simply:
- Squeeze out the juice from fresh orange
- Get yourself a sandalwood powder from the grocery store, over the counter, or by grinding one yourself
- Now pour all three together to mix, and then stir to form a mild paste.
- Now gently rub the mixture on either your tanned arms, hands, or legs.
- Let it sit and sink into the skin for about 15-20 mins, so it dries.
- Rinse off with fresh water.
Repeat this process three to four times a week and watch the tan on the stubborn part of the body fade away and your smooth and soft skin come alive again.
Don’t like that method? Here is another;
How to use Oats and Curds to remove tan from Legs, Hands, and Arms.
Curd is gotten from milk when it coagulates. It is also a very effective sun tan remover. Curd can help your skin decrease its pigmentation and dark spots. It also has a substantial bleaching agent that will help fight sun tan quickly. As one of the methods mentioned earlier above, Oats are also effective skin exfoliators, they are renowned for causing dead skin to slough off while giving room to new ones.
Therefore the mixture of oats and curd as a cream/paste on either your legs, hands, or arms can be the great solution you’ve been looking for to removing stubborn tan.
It’s important to not let it sit too long on your skin. It’s advisable to leave the mixture on the skin for 10 to 15 minutes and wash it off with normal freshwater. Then repeat this process at least three times a week.
Does Baby Oil Remove Fake Tan
Fake tans are artificial tans containing an active ingredient called Dihydroxyacetone (DHA). DHA helps give your skin the bronze look. Thus the more DHA is found in a self tan product, the darker your skin will look.
Yes, baby oil removes fake tan, thanks to its remarkable hydrating properties. Baby oil rejuvenates the skin as it gets absorbed deep inside the epidermis. This process helps free up tanned cells that are dead from the topmost layer of the skin, and when those cells are freed, they can be easily washed off when taking bath.
Just like all the tan removal methods we’ve discussed earlier above, they all exfoliate, nourish the skin cells, and since fake tanners and self-tanners darken the skin at the top-most layer, they are all super effective because the top layer of the skin holds all the pigment.
What you will need:
- Baby Oil
- Epsom Salt
- Body Wash
Here’s how to use baby oil to get rid of fake tan with Epsom salt:
- Get yourself any baby oil over the counter
- Take a quick bath to rinse your skin and pat yourself dry
- Now apply the baby oil generously on your body while maintaining a gentle and circular motion
- Within 30 minutes the oil will penetrate into the skin and begin its rejuvenation process
- Prepare your bath as you normally would and add 2-3 cups of Epsom Salt to the bathwater
- Stir the solution well till it dissolves
- Now, take your bath with the solution and wash the oil off with water and your normal body wash.
- Pat and dry yourself gently
It’s best to repeat these steps 3 times a week for effective results.
So, Can Coffee Help Remove a Tan?
If you walk up to someone drinking a coffee and tell them coffee could remove a tan, they probably would look at you like some weirdo with weird scientific experiments. But it’s true, coffee can help remove a tan. Yes, you read that right! Coffee can remove a tan.
Although Coffee is popularly known as an aromatic beverage and very few people know that it also doubles down as an exceptional exfoliating and hydrating remedy for the skin.
Aside from the various coffee-based skincare products you can purchase to remove a tan, Coffee can also be used in multiple ways with some other items to ensure that stubborn tan fades off.
In this guide, we will be using coffee powder with turmeric and lemon.
Wonder how to do this? Read on below:
How to use Turmeric with Lemon and Coffee to Remove a Tan
What You Need:
- 2 tablespoons or a teacup of turmeric powder as needed
- A cup of fresh lemon juice
- A mixing bowl
How to use it:
- In your mixing bowl, pour the coffee powder, then the turmeric powder, now slowly pour the lemon juice and start stirring till it forms a smooth paste.
- When a paste is formed, now gently apply and rub on the mixture to form a thin even layer on your skin.
- Leave it on to sink in and dry for about 30 minutes then rinse off with fresh water.
Conclusion on Removing a Tan
As you can obviously see that there are various methods of removing a tan, whether through home remedies, bleach, or skincare products. All you need to do is find out which of the solutions suits your skin type.
Always avoid any remedy or product with ingredients that you’re allergic to or any method that’ll cause irritation to your skin. Should you be in doubt, please seek the help of a dermatologist.
Nonetheless, exfoliation is key to removing a tan. Chemical or mechanical exfoliation will effectively help remove pigmented dead skin cells. But, it’s important to be soft while exfoliating, no matter the skin type. Also, moisturize your skin after any exfoliation method or remedy to avoid dryness.
Once again, please pay attention to your skin type when choosing a tan removal method, because what works for a skin type might not work for another.
I’m Akin, your dedicated Editor-in-Chief and a fervent skincare enthusiast. Self-care is my true passion, and each year, I embark on a thorough exploration of self-tanning products, ranging from lotions to mists. This forms the bedrock of our commitment to delivering top-notch information to our readers. My extensive research and precise product rankings empower you to make informed decisions tailored to your specific skincare needs.
Unlock the Secrets to Achieving Your Ideal Tan with This Comprehensive Checklist